Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Monday, October 11, 2010

MG/YA Easier Road to Success?

I read other blogs where writers talk about being frustrated with the publishing process. They’re frustrated, obviously, because they have not been published yet. I read samples of their writing when they offer it, and usually I agree that their writing is very good. And often it's better than a lot of writing I’ve read that is published.

I've talked about that before, but I want to cover something I haven't previously discussed. Generally speaking, I know that very good writing is not good enough for a new author seeking his/her first deal. It has to be absolutely great writing. Of course, it's all subjective, right? How many times have we heard that? Yet many works are published without being great writing. Or even good writing.

I don't want to harp on Stephenie Meyer, and I am glad she is successful, but I have heard so much criticism about her writing. No, I haven't read her books, so I can't offer my own opinion on her writing. But here's where I'm going with this. Stephenie Meyer and so many other first time authors seem to be finding their success in the YA or MG genres. Indeed most debut novels being published are those of authors of MG or YA books. Of course, Meyer and J.K. Rowling are the current giants in that field. But my question is would they have found that success if they tried to write books for adults.

My guess is no. So those of us who are finding success so elusive might follow their lead. Therefore, I am considering writing an MG/YA book. No, it won't feature vampires or wizards. But it will be just as interesting. My hope is that it will be more interesting. I’m going to shoot for fascinating. I'll just have to keep reminding myself to write it for teens. Shouldn't be too hard. I'm surrounded by Middle Schoolers everyday, after all. Like almost a thousand of them. Everyday.

Someone told me to use that as an inspiration. She was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment