Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Friday, October 1, 2010

The Bog

I call my blog The Swamp for two reasons. The first reason is to be consistent with my handle, Swampfox, which I borrowed from the original Swamp Fox. He was a man who fought the British during the American Revolution. His real name was Francis Marion, and he organized a rag tag band of farmers in South Carolina into a unit of lethal raiders who harassed the British army at every opportunity. They would ambush a British supply column, or attack a British patrol, and then scatter into the swamps of South Carolina where the British couldn’t find them. Mel Gibson’s movie, The Patriot, was loosely based on the exploits of Francis Marion, but they didn’t get into the details of his Swamp Fox nickname, which was given to him by the British.

Walt Disney made a TV show about him and called it The Swamp Fox. If you were alive in the sixties, and watched any Walt Disney TV shows, you might remember it. It starred funnyman Leslie Nielson as The Swamp Fox, but it was very early in his career. He's best known now for his comedies. Actually, Nielson’s best movie, imo, is the Disney movie, Forbidden Planet, which is one of my favorite movies. I should list it as such in my profile, because it’s a terrific Science Fiction movie, loosely based on Shakespeare’s story, THE TEMPEST.

The second reason I call my blog The Swamp, is because it’s a blog in the bog, as it says in the subtitled description under the header. I believe I blog from the bog, meaning I’m in writer's nowheresville. How long will I be stuck in the limbo of the writer’s world, who could say. I suffered through the pangs of finding an agent like most people, but I got lucky and found one.

But that doesn’t mean I’m clear of the bog. No, I’m still there. With apologies to The Doors, I don’t have time to wallow in the mire, but regardless, I’m there. Until a publisher believes in my stories and publishes them, I will remain in the Bog.

My plan is to change the name of my blog when I get a book published. Then, depending on which book is published, that will be the new name of my blog. Killer of Killers, or The Vase. You know, to promote the book. It’s why we blog in the first place, right? To form a platform. Writers are encouraged to establish a platform. Get your name out there. Get the name of your book out there. It’s why writers blog…no? Oh, yeah, there’s another reason. We love to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment