Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Monday, October 4, 2010

Ayn Rand's Fiction Writing Grades

Ayn Rand has got to be one of the best authors of all time. The following is what she wrote about creative fiction writing, and how her own writing compared:

“…If creative fiction writing is a process of translating an abstraction into the concrete, there are three possible grades of such writing:

1-translating an old (known) abstraction (theme or thesis) through the medium of old fiction means, (that is characters, events, or situations used before for the same purpose, that same translation) – this is most of the popular trash;

2-translating an old abstraction through new, original fiction means – this is most of the good literature;

3-creating a new original abstraction and translating it through new, original means. This as far as I know, is only me – my kind of fiction writing.”

Ayn Rand, 1946

(I added the numbers to separate the distinctive classifications.)

I think all novelists should consider their novels in the context of Ayn Rand’s grades of creative fiction writing.

My first novel, KILLER OF KILLERS is basically a vigilante story, and that’s certainly an old abstraction (theme). But there is more to it than just the vigilante element. If I were to use the same old, ‘family gets murdered, so hero gets revenge’ theme, then KOK would fit into the popular trash grade. But that’s not my MC’s motivation. He is motivated by a constant and continuous societal injustice. Sure, at one point, he gets confused with a drive for revenge. But that’s just a complication in the plot which he has to work out in the heat of the action. There are additional abstractions that are also very old – The quest for immortality, the formation of exclusive fraternities, the relevance of drugs, sexual freedom, loyalty, and betrayal.

But I believe I use new original fiction means, which I hope make my book “good literature.”

My second novel, THE VASE, also uses old themes, like a father seeking revenge, a merchant seeking neutrality, and an army captain losing his faith during war. But I think I also use an original abstraction, and I translate it through new original means.

It's a combination of themes that lead to a peaceful coexistence and a promotion of intercultural understanding through the revelation of historical truth. Has that been done before? If it has, then I believe it has not been done the way I did it. So if THE VASE doesn't qualify for number three, I'm confident it qualifies for number two.

I am certainly not putting myself on the same level of Ayn Rand, just as I would never put myself on the same level of Robert E. Howard. I am not that good, not even close. But I believe it’s a good way to assess your writing. Only well-read readers would know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment