Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Sample Covers Sent Yesterday

Yay. Cogito sent me some sample covers yesterday. It was great seeing my debut novel, THE VASE, starting to take a real shape of a book, even if only as a cover right now.

There were four samples, but since I couldn't download them, I'll try to describe them.

The first three samples were mosaic designs. They were really interesting really. All three were from the same source and featured a lion-like figure, which I liked, but again it was a mosaic, and there are no mosaics anywhere in my story. So I think the three variations on that particular design will not be appropriate.

Now the fourth sample had potential. It was a great photo of a collection of vases, looking down on them, as they were set on the ground. And even better, the vases were not glazed, which is how my "vase" is described in the story. So I would choose that one from the four examples they sent.

And that's what I told them in my reply, but I also invited them to check out this here blog, and maybe get an idea from my header photo up there. I thought that since the title is THE Vase, and not, The VASES, maybe it should be a close-up of just one vase, like in that picture I have there.

I also made some suggestions about what else might be included. Like maybe that subtitle in my blog's header would be good to put in there, too. Maybe even that logline I have underneath the photo would work, too. And for the back cover, I think the four blurbs of the characters I have up there would be good.

Anyway, there is no doubting the importance of a cover, as I've blogged about that before. A great cover can result in a lot of sales, just by itself. So this is going to be a very important step in the publishing process. And I'm so glad that they are including me in the decision.

If you are reading this Gratia, let me thank you again for your efforts on this. And if you are reading this, Alecs, let me thank you, too. And if Pierre is reading this, it's like, thanks man, for everything. So, it's on with the show, so to speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment