Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Friday, July 29, 2011

Historical Novels, You Gotta Love 'em

As much as I love stories in literature or movies, TV or what have you, I know that I have always been more intrigued with those stories that are based on true stories.

We all know the most common ones told throughout the ages: Julius Caesar and Cleopatra, Alexander the Great, and many war stories based on truth. And of course a plethora of other kinds of stories based on real life people who lived some kind of fantastic experience. People like Henry XIII, and so many others that would fill a hundred postings.

And that's why I chose to write about John Dunn. He didn't change the world, but he did influence a region of it. And it's a story that hasn't really been done. Yes there are some books about him. But I would bet no one that has read this blog had even heard of him before learning about him from this blog.

Regardless, I am not making everything in this story 100% accurate, or even exact in its chronological order. I will stress that this is a story which is BASED on a true story. All the characters are real, and to the best of my research, I am trying to make their personalaties at least close to how they have been described.

But I have one real void. Aside from Catherine Pierce, Dunn's first wife, the Zulu wives of Dunn have not been described or talked about in any of the research I can find. But I'm tring to give them some dimension in the story. I want them to be real, not just backdrop. I can't do it for all of them. There's too many.

I have made Catherine, herself, a major player in the storyline. Every research I've seen says she was very upset with all the other wives. No duh, I know, but I am playing up on that angle. Also, I have read that she had to deal with prejudice and racism that others displayed towards her.

So here's a good angle. A woman who is victimized by racism, because she is half black, is herself victimizing others for being all black. Sounds to me like there's a lesson in there somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment