Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Monday, June 22, 2015

Publisher Signed Contract

I received a copy of the Knox Robinson contract today with the publisher's signature on it. That might not sound like much of a big deal, but believe me it is a big deal. If the publisher does not sign their own contract, then they will have no legal obligation to abide by the terms of that contract. Meaning, they won't have to pay you!

And yes, that has happened to me before. With Cogito. Cogito was the publisher who had accepted my second novel, The Vase, for publication. They sent me the contract. Unlike the contracts I received from Virtual Tales and from Melange Books, this contract had no publisher's signature on it. Sure it had the book's name, The Vase, and my name, and a place where my signature and the publisher's signature belonged, but those spaces were blank. Of course my signature place was blank, because I had yet to sign it, but the strange thing to me was that the space where the publisher's signature belonged was also blank.

Being a relatively new author, I went ahead and signed the contract and sent it back to them. But they never sent it back with the publisher's signature on it. And then, of course, none of the terms were met. I had no recourse because the publisher never signed it. And another red flag was that the publisher made himself unavailable to me, and to all authors I'm guessing.

So when my Cogito editors revealed to me that they were quitting the place, even suing Cogito for not paying them, I put two and two together. When the time allotments for editing passed, I used that as a legal way out of the contract. And then I found Penumbra to publish The Vase, and their contract had a publisher's signature on it, and there was no problem with them.

So yeah, getting the KRP contract with the publisher's signature on it was huge for me today. And they want my photo, mini bio, and jacket copy for the story, too. That means things are rolling over there at Knox Robinson Publishing. They also sent me a letter welcoming me to the KRP family and said that they plan on publishing all my future books as well. That is a great thing, too. Meaning when I write another book, I'll know that I already have a publisher willing to publish it. And not a small POD publisher, but a real print run publisher who gets their books into bookstores. Things seem to be working out for me. Hope it all pans out. We'll see.

Side note. I've made it clear to KRP that I will remain loyal to Melange Books for the Killer Series. So any future Killer books like the soon to be released Killer Eyes and the third book in the series tentatively titled The Killers Guild, will be published by Melange.

No comments:

Post a Comment