Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Monday, May 7, 2012

Maybe Avengers Doesn't Suck

I posted last week that I believed the new Avengers movie would suck because I read that Loki, the half-brother of Thor, was using Aliens from outer space as allies to invade earth. I thought here we go again. Hollywood putting their own spin on a classic Marvel comics story.

I said that Loki should have myriads of "demons" and such from the Asgaardian dimension of the Norse gods from where he hails. And that recruiting aliens was a Hollywood take on how things should be in the movies.

Well, my brother saw the movie this past weekend, and in a telephone call explained to me that the "aliens" were indeed from the Asgaardian dimension of the Norse gods. Well, then. OK. Since it's what I said should be the case, perhaps the movie is what it's supposed to be.

And going by their box office take, it certainly seems as though the movie doesn't suck at all. At least not according to the paying public. It's Hollywood's bottom line, and it's a raging success as far as that is concerned.

But that's not how I judge movies. I liked John Carter of Mars, and that movie lost so much money the Disney executive in charge of it had to resign. At least that's what I read somewhere. There are many examples of movies or TV shows that lost money or had bad ratings but I thought they were well done, and some are even sentimental favorites.

Let's hope that the new Spider-Man movie will be closer to the original comics stories. One thing I hope they make true to the original is the spider web shooting ability of Spider-Man. In the comics, Peter Parker invented mechanical web-shooters. In the movies, they made it a natural thing that developed in his wrists. That just sounds gross to me and a lot of other people, too.

One thing I think is better right off. And that would be the actor who plays Peter Parker. I never thought Toby McGuire was the right actor for the part. The new guy, whose name I don't remember right now seems much better from what I've seen in promo photos. I like the costume better, too. So, we'll see this summer. Looking forward to it. Avengers, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment