Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Tuesday, May 29, 2012

If You Want It Done Right...

The old saying: If you want it done right, do it yourself. That really is true for a lot of things. But is it true for publishing? I would say no.

When I began writing novels, I promised myself that I would NOT self-publish my books. And when KILLER OF KILLERS was finished, I was lucky enough to find an agent. But I've chronicled what happened after that. And it was a case of the old saying. I got it done myself. That is, I found a publisher to publish KILLER OF KILLERS. It wasn't my agent, who has gone away by this point.

But twice, for me, finding a publisher wasn't something that went well. For my other novel, THE VASE, the publishers didn't work out. Again, it's something I've chronicled here on the blog, so I won't go into details. But could it be a case where I should have published it myself? I still say no.

But had I done so, it would be in print by now. Instead, it's still sitting atop a slush pile somewhere. Or two, or three. Or even trashed for all I know. It's faith in that manuscript that keeps me going. And the knowledge that, like the three publishers who offered contracts before, there will be another who wants to publish it. (I didn't sign one of those contracts.)

And, of course, there is the imminent publication of KILLER OF KILLERS that I have going for me. But awaiting that first round of edits is tough. It took the editor one day to read the manuscript and offer a contract for it. And now, it's four months later, and although I have a cover set and ready to go, and an author's page on the Melange website, I have yet to receive my edits.

Of course people have issues. They have their lives to live, families to tend, and problems to overcome. But it's their profession, after all, and when you have a job to do, you get it done. Especially when other people are depending on you.

I'm still smarting from my last experience with an editor at my last "publisher." She had sent me the first round of edits on THE VASE and I was quick to go over them and send them back. And then nothing. I waited for SIX MONTHS and nothing. It turned out this editor had "issues" with the publisher and had quit working for him. BUT SHE NEVER TOLD ME. And that was unforgivable. Heck, I'd still be waiting now, a  year later, if I hadn't got on the ball and found out what was going on.

But I have faith still. In other people and in my own work. Let's see how it unfolds this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment