Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Monday, April 4, 2011

WonderCon

So the WonderCon was pretty cool. WonderCon is what they call the ComicCon in San Francisco. My two sons had a great time, but my older son probably had a better time just being with his girlfriend. Yes, he has his first girlfriend, which is Ok, he's 14 and so is she, and both are in their first year in high school. The weird thing is she is a former student of mine. I had her in my Ceramics class last year, and now she's becoming part of the family. It's OK. I love my son so much as any parent would, and so I want him to be happy, and I believe he is. I'm happy as long as he keeps his grades up, and he is. He's nearly a straight A student, and I found out, so is she. OK, well, nothing to complain about.

Back to the ComicCon or WonderCon. It was funny in a way. So many out of shape people trying to be superheroes. It was funny seeing pot-bellied Batmen, and flabby WonderWomen. I even saw a senior citizen Superman. But it was fun. I probably had more fun watching all the devoted fans, than seeing the legitimate stars, of which there seemed to be a limit.

I saw Lou Ferrigno, but he didn't seem like he was having fun. While I was there, he was on his cell phone talking to someone rather than conversing with the fans who otherwise might have bought his memorabilia. And I saw the guy who wore the Gorn outfit in the original Star Trek show, Arena. I talked to him a bit about what it was like putting Captain Kirk in a bear hug, and missing his attempt to stab him to death. I stated that I know it wasn't his call, he had to do what the director told him to do. But he had an issue with that statement. He said that HE was the one who directed that fight scene, proudly proclaiming that not only was he a stuntman, he was the stunt director. At least for that episode. I didn't inquire further, because I wanted to move on by then.

My youngest son had the most fun, but it was only because I agreed to buy my sons two suouvenirs each, and it's what they looked forward to the most. My little one got a Highlander knife, which the seller said was made in Ireland, and explained what they used if for. It was interesting that when we took it out of the wrapping, it had INDIA stamped on the blade. I didn't care. It's not like I broke the bank for it. My little son was happy. He got a Naruto keychain, too.

My older son, took time from his girlfriend to track me down for a 22 dollar Transformer Decepticon belt buckle, and an air soft mask. The mask has a skull imprinted on one side, which he thinks is so cool. OK, if he likes it so do I.

As for promoting my book, THE VASE, I really didn't get much of a chance to do that, keeping up with my little son, making sure we didn't get separated amongst the jam-packed crowds. If you take your eyes off your little ones for just a moment, it might be that moment you lose them. Parents know what I mean. But I did run into some woman promoting the new IMMORTALS movie coming out soon. What I liked about it is that it's being made by people who made the movie, 300, and it just so happens that 300 is one of my favorite movies. It's even listed as such on my profile. So, OK, I listened to her spiel. Then I told her about THE VASE. I told her to google it and hopefully she'll find my blog. I never got her name, but maybe she'll try it, and read about THE VASE. Maybe she'll spread the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment