Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Time in the Sun

That's the title of the fifth song from Rockin' the Afterlife. It's up now. I still plan on linking the music. It's only half of the product when just the lyrics are posted without the melody. One day.

But my focus right now is writing KILLER EYES. It's at 36,000-plus words, page 128, and I'm rockin' the keyboard every day. This is why I'm a writer. Nothing stops you but yourself. Don't need band members, don't need microphones or musical instruments, (although I've got all those anyway...just not the band members.)

I suppose I could link somehow the music from my Yamaha synthesizer...since it synthesizes all the other instruments, but it won't sound as good as the real thing.

But all you need to write a book is you and your computer. Of course being hooked up to the internet is a great help. You know...for research. At the tip of your fingers. No more library excursions...phone calls...interviews...although I have done all of that anyway. When I wrote KILLER OF KILLERS, I interviewed the Shihan from my son's dojo. My son is a black belt in Kenpo Ju Jitsu, (the art I studied myself when I was younger) and I also interviewed some of the senseis there.

In case you're wondering, Sensei is the Japanese term for teacher, and Shihan is the lead teacher, or maybe like the Principal, if comparing it to an American school. They agreed to interviews whenever I requested them, and made available to me a ton of literature. But I'd be less than truthful if I didn't admit to using the internet, as well. I most certainly did. Same thing for THE VASE.

So yeah...no reason to be held back from writing. Unless you're just not in the mood. If that's the case...writing ain't for you.

Now, back to KILLER EYES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment