Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Monday, June 21, 2010

Progress on Killer Eyes

On chapter four, page 33, and near 9,000 words. Man, I tell you, once you are inspired, let it flow. I figure to write 25 pages a week, and that means by the end of the summer vacation, I should have the first draft completed. That's how I did it with my first two books, Killer of Killers and The Vase.

Then I used the next nine months to revise each one. However, KOK took me, really, another year to revise, because, as I explained in an earlier post, it was my first novel.

But now, my third novel is going so well I doubt the revising effort will be as intense as either of the first two. I have a nifty ending already in mind. Not like for the first Killer book. I wrote that one without even knowing what was going to happen. It all fell into place as I wrote it, though...almost as if the story wrote itself. But I have read blogs where authors claim to outline their entire book before they write it, and then there are some who claim they don't.

Well, for KOK, I didn't outline, and it really turned out great. At least that's what everyone said who read it. Including literary agents, one of whom signed me to a contract. Fingers crossed. Hope she can sell it.

Then, for The Vase, I outlined it. I had a great idea, and went about writing the first draft following the outline pretty closely. It seemed a lot different knowing the events before I got to them.

Both ways are good, but I would recommend outlining. It's like reading a map that has a distinct route that you are following. Otherwise, with no outline, it's like you get in your car and you start driving without even knowing where the heck you're going. With KOK, I ended up in a good place, but man, I wouldn't suggest it. You might get lucky once or twice even, but don't push your luck. That's my advice, anyway.

Of course, even with an outline, during the course of writing the novel, you get new ideas, and the story can twist and change. That happened to a degree with The Vase, and it will probably happen with Killer Eyes. But that's why you write the book, no? It could always take an unexpected turn, and there you are...with an even greater story than you figured. That's why writing novels is such a great thing to do. Man, I,m having the time of my life. But that's what I thought when I wrote music, and when I did my art.

It's what I thought when I had kids, too. Yeah, I had a happy Father's Day. I love my two sons so much. I am one lucky dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment