Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Saturday, September 9, 2017

Music Getting Closer to Being Posted

The last couple of weeks has seen a lull in my story writing. Back to school is in progress, of course, and I'm loving being back in the classroom. That never meant I didn't have time write, but with the recent completion of my latest book, John Dunn: Heart of a Zulu, I'm slow to proceed with my next.

I'm more inspired to get back to my music. It's like a cyclic thing for me. I go through phases I guess. It was all about drawing and painting for a long while. Then sculpture. Then music. Then writing books. Now back to music. It was during my music phase I had written quite a lot of songs about ten to twenty years ago. Some of those songs can be dismissed, sure, but some, I don't mind saying, were quite good. Especially my last two "albums."

I had not named my first eleven "albums", which were a collection of about ten songs each album. I considered ten songs to be about what would constitute an album from those years ago when albums used to be vinyl. Now albums are CDs, I think, or are those now obsolete too?

Whatever, I wrote songs in about groups of ten or so, and called it an "album." I only named them Volumes 1 though 11, until I wrote volume 12, and it contained an outer space type theme. Much like the individual songs Rocket Man  and Space Oddity, by Elton John and David Bowie respectively, which are just that, individual songs, albeit great ones, and worldwide hits. My Volume 12 is a collection of ten songs that has a space theme, too, so I call it Rockin' the Cosmos.

And the lyrics to Rockin' the Cosmos can be found right here on the blog. My next goal, at this point, is to see if I can post the entire collection of music onto the blog. Never mind that the vocals are horrible, which I readily admit. Singing is the one thing I readily admit I cannot do. But even so, I do it. Why? Because I have that much confidence, not in my singing, but in my music. I really believe the songs are good. So I will post them.

But therein lies the problem. I don't know how. But I know people. People who know how. And once those people have time, they will come and help me. I've already converted all my songs into mp3 formats, which was the first step. Well, the first step was actually recording the music. Which I did more than ten years ago. But that was on cassette tape. It was recently I did the second step. Converting the cassettes to CDs. Then the third step was transferring the music from the CDs onto my computer, and then the fourth step was converting the songs into mp3 formats.

Now, the fifth step will be posting the music right here onto the blog. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment