Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Sunday, March 27, 2016

Batman vs Superman and Henry Cavill

I haven't seen Batman vs Superman yet. I'll wait until next weekend or the weekend after. Never liked being packed in a sold out theater. I've blogged before that I thought Henry Cavill was the best actor for superman. It was when I blogged about Cavill being a good choice to play John Dunn, if my John Dunn book was ever made into a movie.

So yeah, I was all for Cavill being superman. It occurred to me that I never saw the first Superman movie with Cavill in the lead role. You know, the movie called Man of Steel. I learned that the current movie, Batman vs Superman has a lot to do with Man of Steel, so I went on Xfinity on Demand and found the Man of Steel movie. Watched it yesterday, and it was good. It was probably the best superman movie ever made.

There are a lot of reasons why I say that. First, of course, Henry Cavill is the best actor to ever play Superman. Better than George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, and a lot better than Brandon Routh. Another reason is the story line. It was better than all the other Superman story lines put together.

Did I like everything about it? No. I did not like Lois Lane. I did not like the actress they cast as Lois Lane, and I did not like the way they portrayed her in the movie. I did not like the little touches of comedy they put in surrounding the Lois Lane role. How she always seemed to be around the action when everything around the action was being pulverized. Somehow Lois seemed as invulnerable as superman was. Which of course, she isn't, but to have gone through all of what she went through without a scratch, you would think she was.

What really ruined the part of Lois Lane for me was her  comedic comment after they kissed. It was something like "They say it's all down hill after the first kiss." Something like that. But it wasn't right at the time for her to say that. I mean it came right after pretty much the entire city had been obliterated by the Kryptonian terra forming machines, and the fighting between the super-powered Kryptonians. And who knows how many people were killed during the multiple crises. And then Lois starts cracking jokes? It wasn't right.

I can buy the kiss, but not the comment. Not then. But okay, everything else about the movie was good. Even Kevin Costner was acceptable.

Anyway, I'm primed for the Batman vs Superman movie now. But from what I understand it's not really going to be a Batman vs Superman story. Not for more than a few minutes anyway. It's really going to be Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman against a villain called Doomsday. But whatever. I'll be watching it soon enough. And after I see it, then I'll comment on it. So, until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment