Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Sunday, August 9, 2015

Why So Many Different Genres?

I have been asked why I have written books that represent so many different genres. I started out with the martial arts thriller Killer of Killers, which by its very nature is the genre of Thriller. But I didn't stick to the Thriller genre. After I finished Killer of Killers I wrote The Vase, which is a very different genre than a Thriller. The Vase qualifies as Suspense. That's why I refer to it as a story of suspense in the Middle East. So I went from the Thriller genre to the genre of Suspense.

After writing The Vase, I did return to the Thriller genre, only to write the follow up to Killer of Killers. I had left an open story line in Killer of Killers, and it really did need to be wrapped up. So after writing The Vase I wrote Killer Eyes, which wraps up the story line from Killer of Killers. Still, there's enough material in Killer Eyes to follow up with a book three whenever I was ready.

But I didn't want to write book three. I hadn't gotten Killer of Killers published yet, and I didn't want to waste time writing three books that might never be published. So next I wrote the John Dunn, Heart of a Zulu book, which is solidly placed in the genre of Historical Fiction. I felt that if any of my books were to get published, the John Dunn  book would, because of the universal interest in the Anglo-Zulu War, in which John Dunn played a major role. And sure enough, that book found a publisher faster than my other two books. It only took me a couple weeks before a real print run publisher offered a contract.

And it was during this period that I wrote a YA book, the football story called Second Chance. It's not a Thriller, nor a Suspense, nor is it Historical Fiction. I guess the subcategory of the YA genres would be a Sports genre. So it's YA Sports genre. But the main reason I wrote it was because I dreamed it. I chronicled that on the blog. I dreamed practically the whole story, wrote the outline the next day and proceeded to write the novel during the course of the school year last year. It was one of the smoothest writing endeavors ever. Why wouldn't it be? I dreamed the story. It was as if I watched a movie on TV, and then proceeded to write that story afterward. It was that easy.

And my latest publisher will publish it. So now that all of that is done, and my Killer Series is indeed published I'm proceeding with Book Three in the Killer Series. It' s not so easy as Second Chance. It will take a lot of effort. But I've done it before, and I'm at it again. Here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment