Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Saturday, April 18, 2015

Another Good Review for Killer of Killers

I'm not soliciting reviews anymore, but one of those reviewers I solicited in the past happened to review Killer of Killers and gave it four stars. That's a good review! She even inferred it was near perfect! (According to her it was a  jump kick off.) So wow. Here's the quote: "Killer of Killers is ... stretching out for perfection, yet remains one jump kick off."

She said it's a man's book. (It is, actually,) and she also said it would make a spectacular film! Here's the quote: "Killer of Killers by Mark M. DeRobertis is a 1980's action movie in the written form. I think the best definition of the work is a precise and excellently layered treatment for a movie script. Killer of Killers would make a spectacular film, filled with intricate martial arts sequences and an actor/martial artist like Georges St. Pierre as main character Trent Smith."

I never heard of Georges St. Pierre. I still think Dustin Clare would be the right actor to play Trent Smith. But whatever. She ended the review by recommending it to martial artists and any producers and directors looking for their next movie.  Here's the quote: "...I recommend Killer of Killers to any martial artists that want to see action sequences written excellently. I also recommend Killer of Killers to any action-oriented Producer and Director who are looking for their next movie."

But hold on, this is the same reviewer who thought The Vase was only three stars. Goes to show how opinions vary. I'll take the good with the bad. The bad was basically how she believed I don't let my characters show their "feelings" enough. She wants male characters showing their emotions to the women they love. I suppose she's right in her perceptions that in both KOK and The Vase, my male characters hold back on expressing their love for the women in their lives.

Maybe it's the way I am. It's not my style, and anyone who's ever known me, knows it. (And, btw, she doesn't know me from Adam, so of course she doesn't know it.) My wife of 26 years will tell you. She's still with me, so I must be doing something right.

But again, whatever, it's her OPINION. Everybody has one. I can accept differing opinions. My problem is when reviewers say something about a book that's plain not true, like that dude I mentioned recently. But she didn't do that. She kept her comments to opinions. As it should be. You can read the whole review at Goodreads.

So I write the way I write, and opinions will vary. I'm just glad she gave Killer of Killer four stars. That's the bottom line. It was a good review, and I'll take it. Still, I'm not soliciting any more. That phase is over for me. From now on, any reviews that come in will either be from reviewers I've already solicited or from someone who wants to review it on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment