Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Not Worth It to be a Cop

I just read in the news that a cop killed an 18 year old boy who was wielding a screwdriver. The family is shocked and understandably critical. They say the boy was already subdued by two officers when a third officer came up and shot him. There was no word from the cops at this point, other than they are still investigating it.

So who knows what the truth is? So far it's only a one-sided story. But I have heard of murders committed by whackos with screwdrivers. Screwdrivers can kill. And it was the family themselves who called the cops in the first place. I cannot make any other comments, since I wasn't there, and I don't know the full story.

But I'll say this: I'm glad I'm not a cop. I actually studied to be a cop when I first started college. After getting a job at the local police department, I quickly changed my mind. There just isn't any "cop" blood in me. I didn't get along with anyone in that police department. Hold on. I'm not saying cops are bad people or anything like that. I figure being a cop is the second most difficult job in the world. (Middle School teachers being first!)

But seriously, when my son told me he was considering being a cop, I told him, "No way!"

Why did I tell him that? For the same reason I told him he shouldn't join the army. No way should he put his life on the line for people who don't appreciate it. And really, it seems that most people don't appreciate it. The story today...and several in the past...indicate that when this kind of thing happens, (someone being killed by cops,) then the world is up in arms against them, calling them all kinds of names. Horrible names. I just can't comment. Because like I said, I wasn't there, and I haven't been there for any of the other similar incidents, either.

I remember when some Oakland cops got killed by some deranged shooter a few years ago, there were people in Oakland who actually paraded in the streets CELEBRATING. To me, that was just despicable. And it's for that reason I'm glad I never became a cop, and would never want my sons to be cops.

Ditto with the military. I remember some horrible comments about the NFL player Pat Tillman who joined the military and was killed in Afghanistan. People were saying crap like it served him right for wanting to "play" armyman. Can you believe that? So no way would I ever risk my life, (or see my sons risk their lives,) for people like that. It's not worth it.

So yeah. I'm glad I'm not a cop. And I'm glad my son is no longer considering it. And the last thing I'll say is that I am one person who DOES appreciate what cops do, and what people in the military do. Make no mistake, I know there's always a bad apple in every barrel. That goes without saying, and it applies to every profession. You don't condemn an entire profession, though, for those few bad apples. Bottom line, anyone who risks their lives for the greater society, like cops and soldiers do, deserves props. But I'm just one person. Sure there's more like me who appreciate them. But the people who don't...there's enough of them to make me shake my head. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment