Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Tuesday, August 28, 2012

So What Does It Feel Like?

So what does it feel like to be a published author? All this time I had strived for this moment. Actually, the moment I achieved two days ago, when Killer of Killers was published by the Minnesota-based publisher, Melange Books.

It felt good to be sure, but I didn't grow another inch or even gain any pounds. I suppose the real feelings will come when people actually start reading the book and make comments. And depending on  those comments, I'm sure, will be how I feel.

Right now, two days in, I don't think many people besides my publisher, editors, and my brother, (who happens to be my Beta reader) has read it. All I know so far is that they liked it. Oh, and one other person read it. My very first Literary Agent, Anita Kushen. And she told me she loved it.

I'll try to look her up on Facebook today, and let her know that it's now a published book. Maybe she will get a kick out of hearing that. I hope she buys a copy, too, because she read a very early version of it. I mean it's been revised a million times since she read it like four or five years ago.

At any rate, I'll have to see how other people respond to it. And I better be prepared. First of all, I know in my heart that it's a great story. Another literary agent had said it was a terrific storyline. And that was an even earlier draft than the one Anita read.

And second of all, I'm confident that it's a very well written book. Five years of polishing a manuscript can have that kind of an effect.

But there will be haters. One thing I've learned since being an on-line presence is that people use their anonymous status on the internet to be mean. It's surprising, too, just how mean. I'm not saying people have been mean to me, but now that I have something that is up for review, I can't expect every review to be a wonderful one. There will be people who hate, just for the love of hating. They do it everywhere there's an opportunity. Like forums...and reviews.

These people love to hate others, and knowing they will remain nameless emboldens them. Oh well. Ya gotta take it with a grain of salt. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment