Will iconic images recorded in the grooves of an ancient vase unite the Holy Land or rip it further apart?

THE VASE

A novel by Mark M. DeRobertis

Muhsin Muhabi is a Palestinian potter, descended from a long line of potters. His business is run from the same shop owned by his ancestors since the day his forebears moved to Nazareth. The region's conflict saw the death of his oldest son, and rogue terrorists are in the process of recruiting his youngest in their plot to assassinate the Pope and Israeli prime minister.

Professor Hiram Weiss is an art historian at Nazareth’s Bethel University. He is also a Shin Bet operative on special assignment. With the help of fellow agent, Captain Benny Mathias, he plans to destroy the gang responsible for the death of his wife and only child. He puts a bomb in the ancient vase he takes on loan from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.

Mary Levin, the charming assistant to the director of Shin Bet, has lost a husband and most of her extended family to recurring wars and never-ending terrorism. She dedicates her life to the preservation of Israel, but to whom will she dedicate her heart? The brilliant professor from Bethel University? Or the gallant captain who now leads Kidon?

Harvey Holmes, the Sherlock of Haunted Houses, is a Hollywood TV host whose reality show just flopped. When a Lebanese restaurant owner requests his ghost-hunting services, he believes the opportunity will resurrect his career. All he has to do is exorcise the ghosts that are haunting the restaurant. It happens to be located right across the street from Muhsin’s Pottery Shop.




Thursday, March 31, 2011

I don't want to be influenced

Many blogs give writing advice and virtually all them say that if you want to write books you should read a lot of books. I know you can learn from reading other people’s books, but I’m not so sure it’s great advice. Why? Because I don’t want to be influenced by another author’s style or get ideas from his or her stories.

It reminds me of when I was into composing and playing music. A friend told me that if I want to be in a band and write my own music, than I should go to music concerts and listen to other bands. I didn’t believe that. I don’t want to go listen to other bands. I don’t want to be influenced by other people’s music. I want my own music to be original and not a version of someone else’s.

Same thing for my books. Yes, I have talked about how much I appreciate Robert E. Howard. But I read his books over twenty years ago. I do intend to go back and read his work again, but I am not going to do it while I’m right in the middle of writing my own novels. I don’t want to be a Robert E. Howard wannabe, nor do I want my work to be compared to his.

Yet if I were asked what writer might have influenced my writing more than anyone else, I would have to say Robert E. Howard. But that's because I include tension and conflict, and in KILLER OF KILLERS, tons of action. But I wouldn't say I write like him, because no one writes like Robert E. Howard.

Still, I am convinced my writing will hold up to the scrutiny of critics. I’m sure I will get my share of bashing, as it’s been pointed out that any work of art will have those who love it and those who hate it. And I don’t care about anyone who trashes my work. There will always be haters. But I know it’s going to be appreciated, too.

2 comments: